3.06.2015

Welcome Back to My Kitchen!

This month, we are taking a decidedly random yet tasty turn in our Cupcake Party.  We are detouring with the category of "Savory," which puts us more in the realm of muffins than cupcakes.  But for those days when you are craving something salty and delicious, this definitely fits the bill!  So come on into my kitchen, and let's whip these goodies up!


I announced to my family that I was making Spinach Feta Muffins, only to be met with doubtful stares and forced smiles. "Well, that'll be interesting," was the prevailing comment. I am unanimously considered "weird" by my family for my diverse tastes, so this didn't bother me too much. 

Thus undeterred, I pulled out all my ingredients, but decided to only make one recipe since it appeared I would be single-handedly eating them all...little did I know I would actually have to ration my muffins out!


Chopped spinach adds beautiful color and texture!


Mix the dry ingredients together: almond flour, arrowroot powder, salt, and baking soda.




The muffins are actually very quiche-like, since there are nearly equal amounts of batter, spinach, and feta. 


The recipe only made 9 muffins instead of the 12 it said, but I wasn't worried since, remember, I thought I would be the only one interested in eating them.

Let's be real about the aftermath of baking, shall we?

Now came the moment of truth: I pulled the pan of steaming spinach feta muffins from the oven, and they tasted amazing. And one by one, my family tried them and caved to my "weird" tastes!  Victory!

In fact, once Susanna worked up enough courage to try my creation, her eyes lit up and she said, "I like these even better than your peanut butter chocolate cupcakes...I need another one!"  

Now if that's not a recommendation, then I don't know what is!


What are your favorite savory muffin recipes?  Be sure to link them in your comment below, and watch for Mikaela and Sarah's over the next two weeks!


Spinach Feta Muffins
From Elana Amsterdam's Gluten-Free Cupcakes
 
1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup olive oil
3 large eggs
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
8 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Line 9 muffin cups with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, salt, and baking soda.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil and eggs.  Blend the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture with a mixer until thoroughly combined, then stir in the spinach and fold in the feta.
Scoop 1/4 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup.
Bake for 22 to 27 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.  Let the muffins cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments like we love sunshine and chocolate and chubby babies!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin