4.10.2015

My Favorite Things!


Embarking on this cupcake adventure two months ago has convinced me that anyone who is unhappy needs a cupcake in their life.   Cupcakes and tea.  And daffodils. We would all be much happier people if we took some time each month to measure a sand castle of flour, crack some golden eggs, and inhale the mood-lifting powers of vanilla extract, don't you think?  

I certainly do!  And since our theme for the month melds two of my favorite things--cupcakes and tea--I am a happy girl!  

How did I arrive at my Green Tea with Peach Buttercream Frosting flavor for my cupcakes, I can just hear you asking?  It was simple, really.  I decided that since peach green tea lattes are like nectar from heaven, it would only be logical that a cupcake version would be just as delightful! 
My gluten free flours! (Not quite a sandcastle, but you can use your imagination, right?)


The stars of the show!  I used 1 1/2 tablespoons of matcha powder (Japanese powdered green tea) in the cupcake batter to give it the green tea flavor.  Although you can't tell in the photos, the flours and batter were distinctly green!  Once baked, the green color faded, and the green tea flavor was subtly present.



These cupcakes turned out more crumbly and dry than I liked, so I took inspiration from a favorite cake of my childhood.  I poked the cupcakes with a fork, and then spooned some of the peach syrup over top to moisten them.  It definitely improved the texture!  


Next up: frosting!  Why is it that I always spend more time looking for the decorating bags and tips than I do actually frosting?  Please tell me I'm not the only one!


Topped with dried peaches and sprinkled with matcha powder, the little darlings are picture perfect!  Note my adorable spring cupcake liners!


The Verdict
My instincts were spot on with the nectar from heaven inspiration, and the flavor was amazing!  This particular cupcake recipe, however, definitely let me down on texture.  I'm going back to my tried and true almond and coconut flour recipes next time for the moistness and flavor they pack in!  However, I will definitely be adding matcha powder to more baked goods, as well as making this delectable frosting recipe again!  

Do you ever bake with tea flavors?  I'd love to get some of your favorite tea recipes!


Green Tea Cupcakes with Peach Buttercream
Recipe adapted from this one
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour or brown rice flour
1 1/2 cups potato starch (not potato flour!)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/2 tablespoons Matcha Powder
1 1/2 cups  milk
2 eggs
Heaping 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 1/2 tablespoons bourbon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup peach syrup

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line cupcake tin with 18 paper or parchment liners.

In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, starch and dry ingredients together. Add in the milk, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat with a mixer until the cake batter is smooth. Do not over-beat.

Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into the cupcake tins.  Smooth out the tops with wet fingers.

Bake in the center of a preheated oven until firm and dome shaped, about 15-18 minutes, depending upon your particular oven and altitude.

Cool the pan on a wire rack briefly, then gently pop out the cupcakes and continue cooling on a rack (this avoids steaming the bottoms).

When cupcakes are entirely cool, poke the tops with a fork and spoon the peach syrup over top.  Let sit while you make the frosting.


Peach Buttercream Frosting
From The Cupcake Diaries by Katherine Kallinis and Sophie Kallinis LaMontagne

16 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup peach syrup 
Toppings: matcha powder, dried peaches

Combine the ingredients in a mixer and whip together at high speed until light and airy, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.

Scoop the frosting into a large piping bag fitted with a  large round tip and frost each cupcake with a swirl.  Sift matcha powder over each cupcake, and top with half a dried peach.

Cupcake Party: Chocolate Edition

Lauren's Double Peanut Butter Chocolate
Sarah's Chocolate Chunk Lava Fudge
Mikaela's Hazelnut Mocha

Cupcake Party: Savory Edition

Lauren's Spinach Feta
Mikaela's Cupcakes & Croutons 
Sarah's Carrot Ginger Coconut Muffins

1 comment:

We love comments like we love sunshine and chocolate and chubby babies!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin